Okay, so who else is totally in love with the mason jar soap dispensers that have been circling the web for quite a while? Don't blame ya! They're adorable and add the perfect farmhouse touch to any kitchen!
I've even seen these babies in some online home stores for $25 a pop! But, did I pay $25 for mine? Nope. I actually paid $0 because I already had everything I needed to create my own mason jar soap dispenser!
If you want to make your own, here's what you need:
- Mason jar with lid (or any glass jar you like - mine is a Classico spaghetti sauce jar)
- Soap or lotion pump (you can even use plastic ones, you can purchase this online or reuse one from an old soap bottle)
- Super glue
- A Drill & A drill bit (the same size as the soap dispenser pump)
- Spray paint color of your choice
- A piece of sandpaper
- Epoxy glue (optional)
How to Make DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser
1) Start by cleaning the Mason jar and removing any labels or residue from the outside.
2) Spray paint your lid and soap pump in whatever color you fancy (I painted mine a glossy black)
3) Use the drill and drill bit to drill a hole on the mason jar lid big enough for your soap pump to be inserted. Be careful not to crack the lid or break the glass jar.
4) (Optional) Use the sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges around the hole in the lid.
5) Glue the rim of the soap pump to the lid so it doesn't go anywhere (I actually didn't have to do this since it was such a tight fit)
6) Screw the ring onto the jar, making sure it is tightened securely.
7) Fill your bottle with your favorite hand soap, dish soap or lotion and enjoy!
8) Give the pump a few pumps to prime it and begin using your new Mason jar soap dispenser!
Here's what mine looked like before I spray painted the lid and pump.
My soap pump is a little short for this jar so I will eventually have to insert a straw into it. That, or always keep if filled!
I love the fact that these $2 Classico spaghetti sauce jars are mason jars!
They even have ounces marked on two of the sides!
DIY Mason Jar Soap Dispenser Tips to Have in Mind
Here are a few tips to have in mind when making this project:
- Choose the right size of jar: Make sure the Mason jar you use is the right size for your soap dispenser pump. You don't want the pump to be too small or too large for the size of your jar.
- Use a good soap dispenser pump: You can purchase soap dispenser pumps online or reuse one from an old soap bottle. Be sure to choose a pump that is of good quality and fits well in your jar's lid.
- Be careful when drilling the hole: Use a drill and drill bit that are the same size as the soap dispenser pump to ensure a snug fit. Take your time when drilling the hole and be careful not to crack the lid or break the jar.
- Sand the edges: After drilling the hole, use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges around the hole. This will help prevent cuts and scratches when using the dispenser.
- Use epoxy glue if necessary: If the soap dispenser pump doesn't fit tightly in the hole, you can use epoxy glue to hold it in place. Be sure to apply the glue carefully and allow it to dry completely before using the dispenser.
- Try different jar sizes and shapes: Mason jars come in many different sizes and shapes, so don't be afraid to experiment and see what works best for your needs.
- Have fun and be creative: Making a DIY Mason jar soap dispenser is a fun and easy project that allows you to be creative and add a personal touch to your bathroom or kitchen. So have fun with it and enjoy the process!
It's been a couple of weeks since I made this and I am so loving it! I'm even thinking of making a smaller one to hold my lotion.
This project is a simple way to add a touch of rustic charm to your bathroom or kitchen, and it also makes a great gift for friends and family.
What do you think? Is this something you'd like to make, or are you thinking, "Way ahead of you, Selene. I already have mine on my kitchen counter!"